The Beauty of Giving

Hi Swords!

I miss y’all :grinning: A passage I have been reading has been on my mind quite a bit so I thought I’d share it with you in hopes that it blesses you as it has blessed me.

2 Corinthians 9:6 “But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work.”

There’s quite a bit here :sweat_smile: but some main points God has helped me understand are the following: even during this pandemic, God always provides that we have do not lack and that we can do good works! He has opened my eyes to give in certain ways, whether my time, prayers, or even financially when I didn’t think I could. Before this post gets too long, one other point He helped me realize is that the generous giver reaps bountifully but not in a way I thought.

So when I first read that part, I thought that if for example, I help one person then I would reap the benefits of helping that one person. However, God takes your gift to that person and makes it abound! When God is in the picture, He then gives grace to that person to help another and spread His good works. Specifically, I’ve heard how a Christian ministry called Kids Alive asks for donations that help young at risk children all over the world. When people give and pray for a child they sponsor, God blesses that child to then be a blessing to others when they are grown. I’ve heard those testimonies and if you’d like to hear some, message me. The sponsor sure does reap bountifully when seeing how the child they sponsor grows to be a light of God for many others :grinning:

5 Likes

I also believe that a lot of us tend to miss an important part of that passage. When Paul says, “And he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully,” Paul was saying, he who sows blessing (eulogia) will reap blessing. That means to me that my sowing isn’t just about what I’m giving, but why and how I’m giving it. Am I doing what I do to be a blessing, or to just get blessed.

3 Likes

@dhernandezillume this definitely motivates me to get off my keister and start helping the lost!

2 Likes

By sharing this scripture on giving and by giving to this children’s ministry, you are exemplifying how to be an imitator of Jesus. He loved children and was definitely a giver. Not only did He give up His life, He sacrificially gave of His time over and over again when He was tired, probably hungry and it wasn’t convenient or easy.

Thanks for reminding me and others who read your post of the benefits of giving with a cheerful heart and of the rippling effect it can have It brings to mind of what happens when you throw a pebble into a pond and you can see the rippling effect it has on the body of water. It stirs it up.

By sharing you practiced what Hebrews 10:24 says.” Let us consider one another to provoke unto love and good works. Even though, we are not physically assembling, we can still exhort one another through this community “and so much more as we see the Day approaching.

2 Likes

Thanks Pastor Bill for your additional insight here! Wow - very helpful!

Since my Start with Swords I’ve felt a pull toward the Homeless and what surprises me still is how they will ask if they can have another…of what am Giving . I ask a man after saying yes to him… Why do you ask? He said because i know theirs other people that need and i don’t want to take from them.With so little and so loss but still this display of compassion moves me every time. It reminds me of Matthew 18:13 " Truly i tell you, He said, " Unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the Kingdom of God.

2 Likes

Valet points Bill… Something for all of us to think about…

1 Like

It’s just something I’ve learned. God has really blessed me, maybe not to the extent that others are blessed, but so much more than I could imagine. This makes me want to be a blessing to others.

2 Likes

This reminds me of the lady that gave two mites to the church. It always fills my heart to hear about these type of encounters. It also blows my mind that it is usually the ones that don’t have much give the most.

2 Likes

I Know you know, We are more Blessed in our giving than receiving! But seriously; Nothing changes a persons heart faster or better than meeting someone’s need out of your own heart. Just like Peter and his miracle catch of fish He finally repented and saw Jesus as Lord. I love to give and kill any seeds of bitterness or unforgiveness- God is soo Good and faithful, He supplies our seed for sowing and bread for food always, we have enough plus right now We are in a Harvest season!!! ( my fav)

1 Like