Holding On To Hope

How can we as believers feed our hope?

Romans 10:17-“So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”

But, how does hope come to us? And how do we keep it?

1 Like

(Rom 15:4) For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope.

One way we can feed our hope is through the scriptures. Not just by reading the scriptures, though that definitely is important; but, more importantly, by finding patience and comfort in the scriptures.

4 Likes

Another way to feed our hope is to spend time in praise and worship. In Psalm 42:5 the psalmist says “ Why are you cast down,O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance.”
If I start letting my feelings take over it is easy to get sucked into the vortex of feeling downcast. At that moment, I can choose to get my eyes off of the circumstance I face and get my eyes focused on His face. Praising and worshipping Him makes my situation so much smaller and subsequently hope comes.

3 Likes

@BillS I really like that. it speaks to your perspective switching to the word being the focus. that scripture also feeds a determination to see a positive result.

@nena71 I’m grateful you spoke up and mentioned something physical we can do. sometimes we humans can be hindered from remembering the promises of God’s deliverance in His words. so, having something we can physically do to break us out of that hopeless state is powerful. taking a moment to praise and worship God definitely can remind us of all the things He has given us and done for us!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! Something you mentioned - “choose to get my eyes off of the circumstanceI face and get my eyes focused on His face” reminded me of what we can learn from Peter walking on water. Once Peter took his eyes off Jesus and started looking at the waves as he was walking towards Jesus, he started to fall. What we focus on affects our hope - we are called to walk by faith and not by sight. Just thinking about these things together is very helpful!

3 Likes

Thanks for all who have shared thus far - it’s encouraging and sharpening to read your posts. This topic is a timely one for me - I’ve just been meditating on this topic and the following scripture came to mind: Hebrews 10:23 “Hold fast the confession of your hope, without wavering, for he who promised is faithful.”

‘hold fast’ in the greek: katechó : keep secure, take possession of, hold back

I’ve currently made a confession of healing over my body and I’m learning how instructive that work katechó is. In this trial, I’ve noticed that every single time my body feels pain, thoughts of fear come knocking fast. Without my confession and His promise to hold fast to and take possession of, fear of more pain and doubt if I’m doing the right thing would knock my hope out of my grip easily and almost instinctively. Hope, our favorable expectation of His promises, is something we must work to keep secure against the fiery darts of the wicked one with our shield of faith.

Lastly, the second part of that verse really helps me to hold fast my hope - trusting in the fact that He who promised is faithful and will always come through to what He’s promised.

Thanks for starting this topic @briansnider :+1:t4:

2 Likes

“Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:13)

I think what’s interesting about this scripture is that it shows this cause and effect relationship that joy and peace have with hope - in that, as we are filled with joy and peace, the natural effect of that is abounding hope. This also shows that joy and peace are two powerful influences on faith itself.

Sometimes, I play with an analogy in my head in which I’m a doctor diagnosing my faith. And with this scripture, I get the image that joy and peace are vital nutrients that are necessary in keeping the health of my faith in tip top form.

It also says in the above scripture that we “abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit” and joy and peace are fruits of the Spirit. Coincidence? I think NOT :scream: . But in all seriousness, we can’t go after peace and joy in a natural kind of way like how the world would. “If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit” (Galatians 5:25).

1 Like

@dhernandezillume dude, that’s awesome! I have noticed that when I am about to speak doubt into a situation, and I catch myself, my spirit flares up and I change my attitude to be able to speak hope into that situation. it’s a “not today, Satan!” kind of moment. very cool, because now I will focus on what I’m saying!

@chernandez I love how Rom 15:13 goes right into God filling us with the ingredients necessary to “abound in hope.” I notice that when my joy and my peace is in tact, it’s easy to hope. this passage is a great perspective switch for me to stop looking at the lack of hope. instead, I can ask myself why I’m not in peace or full of joy. what’s the source of my lacking those ingredients in my life? with Rom 15:13 I now can just go straight to God for what I lack (obviously I should be doing this if something as serious as my hope is malnourished), but what’s more is that I know what specifically to watch out for and pray to God to refill these things in me, and in my life!

2 Likes

WHAT DOES IT MATTER IF YOUR HOUSE IS SURROUNDED WITH FIRE ( like Ron Strongs house) RECENTLY OR YOUR BANK ACCT EMPTY. Does GOD NOT DECLARE FOR I KNOW THE PLANS I have for you TO PROSPER YOU AND NOT TO HARM YOU, PLANS TO GIVE YOU HOPE AND A FUTURE. Jer 29:11

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Holding On To Hope:

I think may times we lose sight and wonder of we lost something along the way… But we haven’t lost anything… Its OK we if we have a bad day. Just return to him and build yourself up again. Get strong in the Lord and the Power of his might. Jesus was the word made flesh
so he understands us more than what we think…

4 Likes

Psalms 34:19 declares that, “Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all.” So, when it looks like things are going bad, I just take hold of this scripture, knowing that God is delivering me out of all the things making my day bad. Sure, it may not look easy, but He never fails, and I’m still here.

2 Likes

Amen … The Lord has a word for everything that comes against us.

Psalms 91

Is the powerful scripture I confess everyday . It’s a reminder what is all ours.

I LOVE THIS PART !!!

I will not be afraid of the terror by night, nor of the arrow that flies by day, nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness, nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday. A thousand may fall at my side, and ten thousand at my right hand; but it will not come near me. Only with my eyes will I look, and see the reward of the wicked.

2 Likes

I really like what Tino said about returning to God and building ourselves up again even if at times we lose sight and wonder if we lost something along the way. There is a scripture in Psalm 8 where David asks an interesting question. He says:

“When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, which You have ordained, what is man that You are mindful of him, and the son of man that You visit him? For You have made him a little lower than the angels, and You have crowned him with glory and honor. You have made him to have dominion over the works of Your hands; You have put all things under his feet,” (Psalm 8:3-6)

And I can’t help but think that the tone behind this question was that of genuine intrigue. What is it about us, that God is constantly thinking of our well-being, and attending to our needs? In fact, the thoughts that He thinks toward us are so vast that they are more than the sand in the sea (Psalm 139:18). So why has God done so much to save us? Because there have been times in my life when I look at humanity and think, “are we really worth saving?”

And these questions aren’t here to belittle ourselves, but to consider the reality of the situation. That in the entire expanse of the universe, we are the ones whose thoughts He turns to. We are the ones who hold His attention. It becomes apparent just how valuable we are to God. And in this discussion of hope, it becomes more natural to hold onto hope when we can grasp the weight we hold in God’s eyes.

4 Likes

AMEN MY BROTHER…Well Put .

On the subject of afflictions and hope. A scripture that ministers to me is 2 Corinthians 4:16-18. “Therefore, we do not lose heart.Even though our outward man is perishing, yet, the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.” Sometimes the trial,tribulation, or trouble we face seems too long for our liking, We often want instant deliverance from our afflictions. These scriptures remind me to change my perspective to an eternal one. The trial is only for a short moment and is nothing compared to the glorious and incorruptible, resurrected body we will have in the future. I gain much hope by keeping this perspective and by doing so I can renew my inward man.

2 Likes

I truly love how all encompassing psalms 91 is…God takes care of everything for us!

1 Like

these kinds of questions build resolve. i believe God makes it simple for us. we have to till the soil. we have to pull the weeds out of our heart’s soil so that root of hope can grow. it goes back to what you all are bringing up. be close to God, be close to His word, follow Jesus.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Faith is my evidence