Faith is my evidence

It wasn’t until just this morning, as I was praying, that I saw this in Hebrews 11:1.

(Heb 11:1) Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

I’d always seen and talked about our faith being the substance of things hoped for. In other words, without hope, there is no substance to our faith. If we want strong faith, we must also have strong hope. That seems clear to me. But it was the next part of the scripture that really stuck out to me this morning: faith is the evidence of things not seen.

Think about it, faith is the evidence of things not seen. If you are living your life with weak faith, then you are living it with weak evidence. When I looked up the word “evidence” in the Greek, it’s the word “elenchos” and it means “proof, conviction (Strong’s).” Then it hit me, my faith is my proof, it’s my conviction, of what I still haven’t seen. So, whatever I ask when I pray, believing, I will receive (Matt 21:22). My believing becomes my proof, my evidence, that I will receive (lambano, receive, get a hold of) what I’ve asked for.

1 Like

In a court trial strong evidence will stand up in court and will leave no room for doubt. In the same manner evidence,proof, or strong faith filled convictions leave no room for wavering or doubt. This morning I was studying James 1 which says that “he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord. Being double minded only proves that one is being weak in faith, not seeing the promise or an answer to prayer as already done. This will never give evidence of our faith and we will receive nothing.

2 Likes

Very well said, nena71.

1 Like

I think it’s very interesting to consider our believing as our proof. It is another way of looking at faith that I did not see before. I believe there are many ways in which that evidence/proof manifests itself. Here are three that I personally like to remind myself of:

1. Confessions - Hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering (Hebrews 10:23)

2. Entering into rest - For we who have believed do enter that rest (Hebrews 4:3)

3. Giving glory to God - He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God (Romans 4:20)

2 Likes

my only question is that whose the evidence for? people around us? like for a testimony that we’re doing right and living for Jesus? or is the evidence for God to see us? reading on in hebrews 11 it speaks about the people who believed unto righteousness. looking at their deeds of faith, I can’t help but notice that they weren’t doing anything for other people to see. for example, Noah built the ark and it wasn’t possible to keep that a secret. yet, he had no intention of bringing anyone but his family and the animals onboard. was the testimony of evidence of faith for just his family? the people mocking Noah? or God?

if the evidence of faith was to generate a favorable response from the world, as in to win souls, wouldn’t our substance be our testimony?

if evidence of faith was to show God we are His, and we choose Him above the world, then how is our testimony built from the favor of the world? The substance would then be our lives being lived in God not following anyone but Jesus. this is emnity to the world. Jesus mentions this emnity.

I feel weird asking it this way, but what am I proving? and who am I proving it to?

am I proving something to the world, on God’s behalf? or am I to proving something to God on my behalf?

they maybe flip sides of a coin, but I think I need to solidify what my evidence is and also why I need that evidence. especially, now.

Seeing the following scripture made me think of the question:
Hebrews 11:6-But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

I BELIEVE AND HAVE WITNESSED THE EVIDENCE OF THE MANIFESTATION OF THE HOPE OF BEING HEALED, RECIEVING MY LIFE BACK/ RESTORED Noah believed God and saw the manifestation of the ark being built.
EVIDENCE= HOPE

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t really get that this might have been for me.

First and foremost, the evidence is for the one doing the believing. Now, understand that I’m not talking about providing evidence for the world. As the one doing the believing, I’m talking about my faith actually being my evidence that I have what I’m believing for.

Many times when a person prays and asks God to do something for them, they may walk away wondering how they will know that God will do it. What I’m saying is that, based on the Hebrews 11:1, when I pray and ask God to do something for me, if I believe that He will do it, then my faith becomes my evidence that it will be done for me by God. I don’t need any other evidence that it will be done.

Likewise, because I believe on the Lord Jesus, I am saved. My evidence of my salvation is that I believe that Jesus bore my sins on the cross, and made me righteous and acceptable to God.

Now, the fact that I live for Jesus becomes the evidence that I truly believe, which is different than just believing. And that living for Jesus is something that anybody around me should be able to see if they are paying attention.